Wholesome collard greens soup

So, one of the things I wanted to do with the creation of this blog was to start sharing recipes and writing about my forays into sustainable eating.  I've cooked many new recipes and have discovered vegetables/ingredients I've never heard of since turning vegetarian last year.  I've been harvesting many organic vegetables at the farm and always come home plenty in hand, sometimes overwhelmed with the amount that I end up taking home.  I also think,  "Now what do I do with all these vegetables?  I gotta cook and eat all of this before they start to wilt in a couple of days."  And some of the vegetables I take home I've never eaten in my life!  This pressing matter then drives me to search up recipes for these vegetables and, in the end, I end up creating some delicious meals and new favorites.

A vegetable that I don't eat often is collard greens.  When I think of collard greens, I think of soul food.  And also I think of how unappetizing in looks in soul food dishes.  When cooked it changes color to a lovely green to this.  It's a color and texture, that to me, induces gagging.  My distaste for the color, though, was completely overtaken by the fact that the lovely collard greens in my fridge would soon go sour if I didn't cook them soon.  So I searched up a recipe on VegWeb.com and found this recipe which I've adjusted to whatever I had in my pantry.  I added potatoes and cooked wild rice 30 minutes before it was done.

Here is the result:
Click here for recipe.

Comments

Popular Posts