On the meaning of each day

A photo from my childhood at my grandma's homestead.

Last semester, my inspiring and also half-deranged (I write that with humor) environmental professor posed a somewhat philosophical question to the class, "What was the most significant moment in your life?".  He proceeded to allow each and every student, row by row, to state his or her most significant moment in his or her life.  I enjoyed listening to my peers' significant moments: having his/her first child, meeting a significant other, traveling to one's homeland for the first time, etc.  (Mine was when I went WWOOF'ing in Northern California wilderness last summer.)  One student  expressed that he did not have a significant moment in his life, but rather that he saw every moment of every single day of his life as significant.  I absorbed his answer with much cynicism (plus, it sounded kind of condescending at the time).  After every single student had a chance to answer the question, the professor predicated, in his naturally startling and ambitious way of speaking, that we were all wrong.  He asserted that we must live each and every moment of our lives as though it were significant.  Indeed, my professor's philosophical assertion of how one must view life is in no way original, but the deeper message attached to it struck a chord with me that day as I had, until that day of class, lived each day in a stupor waiting for a "specific" moment when well, I don't know... a specific moment when I would be having fun... I was waiting for the weekend... I was waiting for summer... I was waiting for a significant moment in the future (finding my earthmate, moving to NorCal, farming, etc.) I guess that kid with the profound answer was right.

Well, ever since that regular 'ole day of class, I live each day meaningfully now (not that I didn't before, but that now I have a deeper appreciation for the every day).  I think of that class period that I mentioned above often (mostly random moments).

Photo by Trace Ramsey

We as human beings live each day validating our lives by searching for meaning or purpose.  One way to go about it is to appreciate the great mystery of existence.  To savor it, to realize that every moment (even trivial, boring moments) are significant.  (And, for me as of late, especially moments in class when I think life is so dull.)  One should not live each day waiting for a "significant moment."  There is no need to wait because a significant moment is every day, every hour, minute, second.... Because it is great to be alive.

So there you have it.  Be still.  Every day is so fine.

Here is my favorite quote to end this post:


The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.
-Helen Keller


*Edit - My other significant moment would be when I found my once unknown kin, Gene.  (Shout out to Gene if you ever read this!)

Comments

Popular Posts