The pitfalls of modern society

Oh, the irresistible trappings of modern society.  There are days when I'd rather ...

-go buy orange juice, rather than juice the organic oranges I gleaned myself
-buy ridiculously expensive kombucha, rather than make it myself for cheap
-buy bread, rather than bake it myself
-go buy prepackaged salad than prepare the fresh greens I harvested myself...
-etc.

...why? Because buying things prepared by others and/or machines are, well, convenient.  I hate the stupor that I fall into sometimes because of these conveniences... backed by mindless consumer habits (that are subconsciously induced by corporate-backed advertising).  [Again, one can recall the industrial vs. the agrarian lifestyle.]  It is so easy to fall back into that type of mind-set.  It is instant gratification, but not fulfilling gratification.  It makes you see things through the "everything is everything" mentality (the "that's just how it is" defeatist viewpoint) which then sustains the "buy-and-throw away" lifestyle...  It definitely begets this cultural stupor that we think is "normal" .............. and then those who choose to make a sustained effort to live conscientiously and sustainably are labeled "alternative."  There are so many negative connotations to that but also positive ones that I won't go into detail right now.

There is just no reason to justify this cultural stupor anymore.

Comments

Popular Posts