The Work That Reconnects

Serendipitously her existence became known to me via Pacifica Radio as I was driving to work in the afternoon rain this past winter. The wisdom and radiance in her voice as she described her philosophy seeped right into my being as I stared off into the beautiful, snow-capped San Bernardino mountains...

"Eco-philosopher Joanna Macy, is a scholar of Buddhism, general systems theory, and deep ecology. A respected voice in movements for peace, justice, and ecology, she interweaves her scholarship with four decades of activism. She has created a ground-breaking theoretical framework for personal and social change, as well as a powerful workshop methodology for its application."
- via joannamacy.net


Joanna Macy from Chris Landry on Vimeo.

She conducts lectures on 'The Great Turning' initiative (a concept originally by economist David Korten): the shift from the industrial growth society to a life-sustaining civilization. Listen to her lecture:



Here's another interview with Macy, albeit extensive and a bit toned down as she's not so firey! Brace yourselves for 34 minutes of great wisdom: Pachamama Alliance interview with Joanna

Macy also translates Rilke's poetry. I was heavily drawn to Rilke as a high school student. I would read his poetry and cry; it moved me so much. I found solace and renewal in them. I remember I had a black book of his poems and lent it to a friend who never gave it back! (Well, I don't blame him...) It's been a while since I've read Rilke. I am inspired now to carry a book of his poems with me as I travel to North Carolina and WWOOF next month.

Comments

Popular Posts