Food as medicine - treating a cold

Since early last week and perhaps a few days into the week before that, I started developing a harmless dry cough that I would notice more at night before bed (mostly because I practice deep breathing exercises before bed). Last Friday, this dry cough developed into a full on phlegm-infested cough accompanied with runny nose and congested sinuses--symptoms of the common cold caused by a virus. Because of my congestion and constant sneezing, I had inflamed eyes and nose and, overall, felt a dull lethargy permeating my whole being. I think the culprit might be my mom who caught the cold last week. I hardly get sick, so I was surprised when I suddenly fell ill along with my mom.

Since I chose to forgo pharmaceutical medicine for obvious reasons, I'm currently dealing with my cold in a holistic manner and I wanted to share the natural methods I've been using to relieve cold symptoms and restore health to the body. For the past week, I:

  • increased my consumption of ginger tea to 2-3 cups a day. It's funny to think that I used to despise the taste of ginger, but ever since I learned about its many health benefits I've trained myself to like the taste. Anyways, ginger contains many antiviral properties. In terms of a cold, it suppresses cough and reduces pain.
  • consumed a daily dose of alcohol-free echinacea tincture 3x throughout the day. I simply added 30-60 drops in my tea or juice. Echinacea increases a chemical in the body called properdin, which activates the body's immune response to combat pathogens in the body, such as cold viruses and influenza. 
  • drank a nourishing herbal infusion 2-3x per day. Nettle, to be exact. This helps to restore essential vitamins and minerals to the body. You can read my past post on herbal infusions here.
  • increased my consumption of fermented foods. I ate more sauerkraut, drank home-brewed kombucha and lacto-fermented ginger beer. The lactic acid in these fermented food and drinks can help stop the cold.
  • increased my intake of raw garlic. I simply just minced about 4-5 cloves a day and sprinkled it on top of whatever savory food I ate. Garlic contains allicin, one of the plant kingdom's most potent antibiotics.
  • slept with a few slices of raw onion in my room. I have no scientific evidence to back me up on this one. But I read it absorbs airborne pathogens. This is an old folk remedy that has proven itself with the testimonials of many. Google it yourself and you'll be surprised.  
  • ate, or rather, drank soups with medicinal herbs such as astralagus root and shiitake and enoki mushrooms. Both herbs boosts the immune system and have antiviral properties. Perhaps I'll post a recipe later.
  • ate more foods containing vitamin C. Drank a lot of OJ and ate oranges after every meal.
  • drank lots of raw milk. It is a living food with many beneficial enzymes and friendly bacteria that help to fight the cold.
  • slept. A lot.
  • drank lots of water. Of course.

It's been five days since the onset of my illness and I think the worst might be over, though I will most likely be congested for the entire week. Yesterday, I started feeling vitality being restored to my body as I felt more energized. It was very rejuvenating, as though I became a whole new healthy person. I hope this post helps anyone getting through a cold right now or perhaps act as a holistic healing guide next time you or a loved one catch the cold.

Comments

Popular Posts